05 August 2012

So this just happened - meeting Christy Turlington - a brief BlogHer12 update

I have been busy at BlogHer in New York, live tweeting, absorbing everything and making new friends. I promise to uodate you all soon.

I have seen some amazing speakers including President Barack Obama, Martha Stewart, Katie Couric, Soledad O'Brien, Malaak Compton Rock and Christy Turlington Burns, plus many bloggers sharing their amazing stories. It is such a privilege to be in the room with inspirational, motivational and likeminded women (and a few men). I have lots of ideas to take back with me, for the blog and for social change.

This just happened. I asked a question in the philanthropy session.

My question was to Christy Turlington, Soledad O'Brien and Malaak Compton Rock, who all do brilliant work in helping women and children in underprivileged communities.

"As a novice activist, how do I get my message out there without the leverage of the high profiles that you have?"

Christy answered:
"Use your own small community as a start, and your message will spread widely." (Paraphrased.)

I later spoke with the three women and had a photo with Christy. I told her that I am starting out as an appearance activist, and we joked that I can be a supermodel too.
And she retweeted me! So quickly too. Thanks Christy!

I will be blogging soon, when the fantastic experience that is BlogHer is over. Meanwhile you can check out my Twitter for some really useful tips I learnt at BlogHer.

5 comments:

  1. I'm caught up on your twitter. Such great, useful ideas. Enabling commenting on FB to post to your blog, treating your blog as a professional business (including web design and consistent branding) and seeing this as a stepping stone to another level -- all thought-provoking. Now, what will that "whole other level" be?

    Your tweets, strung together, could be used as a manual for future bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look on your face when Christy Turlington tweeted you was PRICELESS. I wish I took a picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great Carly! Looking forward to the Carly BlogHer12 wrap up post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so nice to meet you, Carly. I can't wait to see your wrap-up post. BlogHer was...magical. I think that is probably the only word I can use to define it fully. It was absolutely magical.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails